Description

A.T. monologues - Follow Adam and Frank on an epic 2,175 mile journey by foot.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Introduction to Food Preparation

Food will be necessary to hike.  It's the fuel needed for walking, climbing, and keeping the body's core temperature above hypothermic levels.  About 5 to 6,000 calories will be expended per day while on the trail.  Thus, food will be a critical logistic component of our everyday lives (more than it already is).  Luckily, I like food so this aspect of preparations has been particularly enjoyable.

The food-plan is multipronged:  One method is to procure rations in the towns that we'll be crossing through.  So, roughly once a week Frank and I will emerge from the wilderness and haunt small towns scavenging for something to eat - and lots of it.  I have been diligently stashing away cash so that I may buy food items at stores; buffets will also be an oasis for thru-hikers.  In addition to purchasing groceries we'll be receiving "mail-drops" in said towns.  (Thank you, Tiffany!)  Post offices, hostels, and other facilities will hold packages until I arrive to claim the goods.  "Trail Angels" are also known to manifest randomly at trail-junctions; they are kind people who go out of their way to specifically feed hungry hikers.  Despite thru-hikers' best efforts, due to pack-weight constraints and because of the constant walking, the average guy can expect to drop about 17 pounds in weight.

I have been preparing some home-made meals in advance so that I may receive them via mail-drops.  For my birthday last year Tiffany gifted me a dehydrator.  It is awesome.  I can dehydrate virtually anything type of fruit or vegetable.  The device is composed of five trays that stack on top of one another; the trays are then placed on a central fan that circulates warm air from a heating element inside the base of the dehydrator.  Thus far I've successfully dehydrated a whole array of delicious produce: apples, bananas, mango, kiwi, scallion, pineapple, tomato, garlic, celery, grapes, mushrooms, carrots, and definitely some other tasty things I cannot recall at the moment.  My objective is to create meals that utilize these excellent sources of vitamins, minerals, nutrients, and fiber.  Here are two photos of my food preparation:


[Mushrooms, scallions, and tomato about to be dehydrated.] 


[Vacuum-sealed "lunch" (pistachio, cashew, almond, dehydrated banana, and probably something else.)]



.....

It's getting late so I'll leave tonight's post at this for now.  I get so excited about food; I could write an entire book about preparing food for the trail.  I'll expand some more in the near future about this topic (e.g. I have an alcohol stove so I have to conceive of delicious meals that only require hot water to be added.)


Take Care All!

-Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment