Description

A.T. monologues - Follow Adam and Frank on an epic 2,175 mile journey by foot.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Updates

Sorry for lack of updates. We've been picking up the pace a little bit and are generally pretty wiped out by the time we get to our new "home" each night.

We pulled a 14.7 miler today an are camping at the Little laurel shelter. Water has been hit or miss lately. Some places good, some not. Unlike GA water, which was plentiful everywhere. here is a shot of hybrid treating his water:



Tomorrow we are attempting our first 20 mile day. We are pretty excited for the challenge and are looking to really take it by the horns. Total amount would be 21.5.

And finally, we had a great couple of nero days in asheville, nc, this past sun and mon. Our good friend Tracey picked us up in hot spings and showed us the sights and sounds of asheville. Great great town. Really liked it. Tracey and the rest of her family showed us great hospitality that we hope to return one day. Here's Tracey and sassy sister, Jessica. For the record, I have no idea what they are doing in this picture pose.






Thanks again to Tracey and the rest of the Youngs! We had an awesome time!

Oh- one last thing. I thought I would share the two very large gear changes I have made- footwear and backpack.

Footwear: Back at about our 5th day, my left Achilles tendon was rubbing against the back of my boot and was really irritating it and making it sore. So much so that I figured either a change needed to be made or I could run the risk of injury. So I swapped out my Asolo hiking boots for trail runners (Solomon 3D ultra). This was back in Franklin, NC about 90 or so miles ago. Here's both pairs:






So far, so good. Achilles problem has subsided and my feet are feeling good. I also like how light they are.

Backpack: just yesterday I switched out my osprey kestrel 58 (red) with a Gregory z65. My osprey pack's back airspace piece (the part that is supposed to keep your back dry) crumpled under the pack weight and had been pushing into my back. I liked the osprey and would have gotten another but they didn't have my size in the store. So I hmgave Gregory a shot. I like the Gregory Z65 so far, but it's only about 2 days in. A little bigger than my last pack and i need to get use to packing it. I'll keep you updated.

All in all, a few big equipments changes. Something you don't really want to do if you can help it, but for me, it seemed necessary.

Thats all. Goodnight!

-mojo

No comments:

Post a Comment