Description

A.T. monologues - Follow Adam and Frank on an epic 2,175 mile journey by foot.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

More trail love in Adams, MA

Dr P and I waited patiently outside of the Cheshire post office. It was finally a beautiful day and we had no qualms about sitting around in the sun and shade of the new little town we had just walked into. We were waiting because my friend and former WTAS boss, Shamus was on his way out from Boston to pick us up and take us to his childhood home for the night. Shamus had made this offer to stay at the family home in Adams a while back, before I had even started the trail. At the time, I didn't want to jinx myself and say yes for sure (in fear that I might not even make it to Adams, MA)but now, here we were. Over 1500 miles in the book. We had hiked a good deal these past weeks and a little rest (on some grass no less!) while we waited felt good.

Shamus pulled up in his devilishly good looking yellow sportscar. I guess I have to eat my prior words about not getting a ride from people in nice cars. In fact, I might go as far to say that Dr Pepper and I are the only thru hikers to receive a ride in a Porsche this year.

We arrived to the McBride residence (a house that has been in the family since the 19th century) and were greeted so warmly, immediately, by Shamus' parents, Ruth and Tony. It was clear that we were welcomed guests into their home and I can't tell you just how good that makes us hikers feel, since we often time feel a burden on people.

Ruth and Tony filled us up with some DELICIOUS meat lasagna, garlic bread, and fresh veggies. Talk about carb re-fill and carbo-loadng! The food was fantastic and we were even treated with their next door neighbor coming over with some $5 trail magic! Her son hiked the trail in 1999 and she wanted to pay it forward to us, just like so many had done for her son. She clearly got "it".

After dinner, Shamus took us for a little tour around the town he grew up in. Beautiful country out in these parts. Very green and lush. We also had a great view of the next day's major challenge - climbing Mt. Greylock - which loomed over the towns below, over 3,000 feet in the air.

Our time with the McBride's was short, but definitely sweet. They welcomed us into their home and treated us like family. We feel so very lucky to have met Ruth and Tony and are eternally grateful for Shamus' help. I know I have said this before, but it bears repeating. This trail has been special to me for so many reasons, but the emerging storyline is just how kind and generous your fellow American can be. Love, love, love this trail!




1 comment:

  1. Mojo, I hope you and your hiking friends are keeping a close track of Hurrican Irene, she sounds nasty and might come ashore up the east coast with strong winds and rain inland quite a ways. I'm sure you're watching it, but just thought I'd give you a heads up.

    GB

    ReplyDelete