Description

A.T. monologues - Follow Adam and Frank on an epic 2,175 mile journey by foot.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Day 61

Evening, all. Hybrid and Mojo here reporting from atop a mountain, yet again surrounded by storms. Fortunately the winds are sweeping them around us and in the valleys.

We successfully ascended approximately 1800 feet from town with maximum packweights
(provisions for six days.)

I encountered my first black bear today at a trail junction. We starred at each other for a second, I said "hey bear!" and it took off into the woods. It was a beautiful animal to see at 30 yards away. It's a good thing it fled, too; I would also think twice before messin with me. Hybrid 1, bear 0.

Our dinner tonight was awesome: bagel/fajita with cheese and sausage toasted over a campfire. Mojo hoofed out a bottle of jalapeƱo ranch sauce that added an extra zesty kick.

Town was a great rest and I reloaded my water purifier with fresh batteries. My titanium spork snapped and my water bladder popped a leak. For now I am using plastic bottles and whittled chopsticks; it's looking manageable.

Winding down now. Another day of hiking tomorrow. 640 miles completed!

Good night!

Hybrid



Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

  1. Bear!! Nice ... good thing he didn't mess with ya'll. Make plenty of noise ...and yes, "Hey Bear" works too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAR?! AHHHH. Scary! There are no bears in the library, thank goodness. - Alana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed seeing the bear. The thing with bears is that bears is bears. You just never know. So where and when to your next town (resupply)? Maybe we could get another water bladder to you if we know where to send it. I'd even spring for another spork. Sounds like titanium has a life time after all. Hang tough. In another post I'll teach you two my favorite hiking song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you guys are making great progress. It must be pretty awesome seeing a bear up close. I read once that yelling at a bear is the best way to escape a conflict with him. Must be true!..

    ReplyDelete