Description

A.T. monologues - Follow Adam and Frank on an epic 2,175 mile journey by foot.

Friday, April 29, 2011

First day in the smokies

Hiked 13.8 into the smokies today. Might have been my favorite day yet. Good gradual climbs and great sweeping vistas. We climbed almost '3000 ft total I think. Weather was perfect. 65 and sunny.

Bugs are starting to become a nuisance and I think it's only going to get worse as the weather warms. Fortunately for me they like hybrid's blood a little more than mine so far...

The park rangers require all hikers to sleep in shelters in the smokies, but since it was full when hybrid and I arrived, we get to sleep in our tents, which we are quite happy about. It's cold tonight, so definitely happy I got that extra fleece sent to me at Fontana Dam and picked up a sleeping bag liner as well. (note to self: 30 deg sleeping bag is not warm enough for first month of AT!)

Just realized today- I haven't taken a day off hiking since we started the trail. 18 straight days for me. Body is feeling good and I am man o man we are having a blast!










2 comments:

  1. Great pictures Frankie! Glad to read you're having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pics... good tip on the sleeping bag Mojo. In the market for a tent ... was thinking MRS Hubba ...anyone have any thoughts out there? You guys sound stoked! Gambatte!

    ReplyDelete