Description

A.T. monologues - Follow Adam and Frank on an epic 2,175 mile journey by foot.

Friday, April 15, 2011

Shelter from the storm.

Frank has been on top of our blog (his phone is far superior) and my telegram-esque entries must be lame. Though he covered most of what has been happening to us here is my share:

Our four-day venture thus far is a huge success. The people are friendly, the wilderness has been hospitable, and our bodies are adjusting well.

We are currently staying at a hiker hostel in Neels Gap, GA waiting for a "severe storm" to pass; we had the option to stay or add more miles onto our day and land right in the middle of an aggressive bear's territory. We stayed.

I have bunk number 6. The aroma of the hostel is offset by everyone's openness and friendly attitude. We've met at least two dozen unique thru hikers and everyone is cool in their own way.

Upon arrival, I ate a small helping of Cherry Garcia ice cream and an apple pastry. For dinner I cooked up a quick pasta dish and a big cup of hot chock. Then, I experienced my first "trail magic"; Larry drove up to the hostel, walked out from his car, came up to me with a 24 pack of beer and said, "you look thirsty." !!!!!! I gave him a hug and brought the bounty back to share. My first trail magic was beer! Larry is going to hike the AT soon; I wish him all the luck.

Well, tomorrow looks like it's going to be a little over 11 miles so I am going to get some sleep.

Thanks for following along.

-Hybrid-



Location:Neels Gap

2 comments:

  1. WOW, beer ... that is trail magic!! Now I do feel left out. Have a safe and good hike tomorrow and remember to stop and smell the roses along the way (but keep one eye open for those bears). Run the 12! Dano "Not the other, other guy"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hybrid, good post, have a great walk today and should u c the bear, ask him to stand tall and to pose for the picture, but DON'T get too close !!
    Grampa Bob

    ReplyDelete