Description

A.T. monologues - Follow Adam and Frank on an epic 2,175 mile journey by foot.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

It's the Final Countdown!

Exactly one week from now Frank and I will be deep in the woods of northern Georgia probably thinking about dinner and looking for a nice patch of ground to call home for the night.  It's surreal to think that I've had the AT on my mind for over a year now and the launch-date is right around the corner.  Given that our journey is about to officially begin I would like to share with you all the gear that I will lug around on my back for over two thousand miles:

  • Backpack (Gregory Z55: the 55 denotes size in liters)
  • Pack cover
  • One-person tent & footprint (Big Agnes Copper Spur Ultra Light 1: this took a while to decide)
  • Sleeping bag & compression-sack (The North Face Cat's Meow: Rated at 20 Degree F.)
  • Sleeping pad (Thermarest Prolite 3/4 length)
  • Water bladder (3 liters)
  • Water purifier (Steripen Explorer: it purifies water using ultra-violet light)
  • Titanium mess kit (two bowls, one lid/skillet, one spork)
  • Flint & steel
  • Knife x 2 (one single blade to keep in my pocket at all times and one Swiss Army)
  • Rain pants (REI brand: completely water proof but lacks breathability) 
  • Rain jacket (Arc'teryx Beta AR: 3-layered Gore-tex)
  • Gloves (EMS: lightweight)
  • First aid kit (Band aids, Ibuprofen, nail clipper, mole skin, needle and thread, gauze, & tick-remover)
  • Hat
  • Hiking poles 
  • Cord (30 feet)
  • Socks x 2 (Smart Wool)
  • Underwear x 2 (Synthetic and quick-drying)
  • Thermal leggings (Nike Element Thermal Running Tights)
  • Pants (REI: synthetic convertible pants/shorts)
  • Pack-towel (synthetic, quick-drying)
  • Toilet paper
  • Money
  • Credit card
  • Phone & charger (to update blog and stay in touch with civilization)
  • Boots (Asolo TPS 520 GV: Leather & Gore-Tex - heavy support and very dry, not lightweight) 
  • FOOD (ideally ~2.5 pounds per day @ 100 calories per ounce.)
  • Nalgene bottle (for purifying water b/c the Steripen won't be used directly with water bladder)
  • Camera
  • Long sleeve base layer (Smart Wool)
  • Shirt x 2 (Synthetic, quick-drying)
  • Down jacket (The North Face Diez: 800 fill down, ultra-light, and very compressible)
  • Bandana
  • Eye glasses 
  • Stove (Trangia alcohol stove)
  • Fuel (any kind of combustible alcohol)
  • Lighter
  • Headlamp
  • Whistle
  • Ziplock bags
  • Soap (biodegradable)
  • Toothbrush, toothpaste, & floss (floss taken out of plastic container)
  • Driver's license
  • Pen 
  • Garbage bag (as a pack-liner)
  • Guidebook (No cover & ripped in 1/2; I will take one-half at a time to save weight)
  • Crocs (lightweight - for wearing around tent site to let feet breath and rest)
  • "Brain Book" (Small mole-skin journal containing important addresses, dates, phone numbers, etc.)

So this is what I have so far.  With food and water (water is heavy - 2.2 lbs. per liter!) my entire pack-weight, last time I checked, is hovering around 32 pounds.  Granted, I need to pack everything right now and reassess the situation but the pack is about 17% of my bodyweight so I am feeling pretty good about it all.  

Feel free to let me know if I'm forgetting anything!  (I will definitely double-check with other lists and triple-check after that.)

-Adam

2 comments:

  1. Too bad you guys are leaving before this thing is commercially available.

    http://www.biolitestove.com/NextGen_Cook_Stove.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! I could BBQ the various small game I intend to trap along the way.

    ReplyDelete